Dec 24, 2022
Here is Part ll of my conversation with
Michael Torosian featuring his soon to be released
memoir/bibliography Lumiere Press: Printer Savant and Other
(listen to Part l
This episode gets to the essence of
Michael's book writing/publishing practice: the interview. We
discuss a list of guidelines Michael has developed based on his
experience interviewing some of greatest photographers of the 20th
century. It can be found in Savant in a chapter entitled
'Residual Landscapes, The Photographs of Edward Burtynsky.' Here's
1. I educate myself to the fullest
extent about the artist's life and work.
2. I make up a question list of at least
two or three pages...The I throw the list away.
3. I begin the interview with something
plucked from the uniqueness of the day, the inception of our new
4. I listen. It's imperative to maintain
situational awareness and stay in the moment.
5. I avoid leading questions
6. I probe for greater detail.
7. I re-ask questions
8. In the editing process I splice
answers together from various "takes." There is no improvisation or
9. I strive to be self-effacing.